The historic church of St Peter in Mornington celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2011. In January 1856 a request was made to the Denominations Schools Board to build a Church of England school at Snapper Point, as Mornington was then known. A grant of half an acre of land was made available in Ross Street, close to the site of the present church. A schoolroom and accommodation for a teacher was constructed on this site. It is most likely that that the first services held at Snapper Point were held in this building.
In 1860 the construction of St Peter’s began on the Queen Street site where the church now stands.